Scarlet Letter In Depth

A couple months later Hester was released from prison. Even though she was able to leave Boston, she didn’t. Hester stayed isolated from everyone, including the town fathers, respected women, beggars, children, and even strangers. She was a walking example of a fallen woman, a caution for everyone to heed her warning. Although she was an outsider, luckily Hester was able to maintain herself and life due to her skills in needlework. Her want for beauty sparked her embroidery, encouraging her work to be worn by the governor besides its shameful connotation. Although the elaborate detail of artistry challenged Puritan fashion codes, it was in high demand for burial shrouds, christening gowns, and officials’ robes. Through her work, Hester made point of all the major events of life except for marriage—it was deemed inappropriate for chaste brides to wear the product of Hester Prynne’s hands, because she was not chaste as well. Despite her success, Hester felt alone and was constantly aware of her ostracism. As shame ate away inside of her, she searched for friendship or sympathy, but was unsuccessful. She dedicated part of her time to working for charity, but even that was more ruthless to her than loneliness; the people she helped made fun of her and made clothes for the poor out of ragged clothing, which insulted her aesthetic style. I admire Hester’s mental strength because she prevails even though she goes through mental beating everyday. I hope I found out what Hester is going to do in the future and if she will leave Boston, I hope she does. 

2 thoughts on “Scarlet Letter In Depth

1. I love the way you provided an abundance of details and were very thorough in your preview of your topic for your paper! Your review induces interest for me to read this book in the future and was very well written, I can’t wait for your next insightful review!

2. Thank you for sharing your insight, Marissa. Are you continuing on from your first post? You begin this post with “A couple months later” and I just want to be sure about what you mean here.

It sounds like the way Hester evolves throughout the narrative is something that interests you. Consider focusing on that for your paper!